Angeles City was first established in the Spanish colonial era in 1796 by the the Gobernadorcillo of San Fernando - Don Ángel Pantaleón de Miranda - and his wife, Doña Rosalia de Jesus which they named Culian after the vines that grow prolificaly there. Don Ángel built his first house at the northwest corner of the intersection of Sapang Balen and the road going towards the town of Porac.
Culiat became a barrio of San Fernando, and on December 8, 1829, finally became a separate municipality renamed "El Pueblo de los Angeles" (The Town of the Angels) in honour of its patron saints - "Los Santos Angeles de los Custodios" and its founder, Don Ángel.
On March 17, 1899, Angeles became the seat of the Philippine government under General Emilio Aguinaldo, and it was here that the first anniversary of Philippine Independence was celebrated. A parade was held which was led by Generals Gregorio del Pilar and Manuel Tinio, and was viewed by Gen. Aguinaldo from the Pamintuan residence which became the Presidential Palace, and which now houses the Central Bank.
This was short lived, and governance was transferred to Tarlac when the American forces occupied Angeles beginning the American Era, covered in detail in our history of Clark. The notorious nightlife scene grew around the base to service the GI's stationed there
On June 15, 1991, the eruption of Mount Pinatubo - the second-largest volcanic eruption of the twentieth century and the city and surrounds were covered by tons of volcanic ash.
In 1993, cleanup and removal of volcanic ash continued, and the former base re-emerged as Clark Special Economic Zone.